Sunday, July 26, 2009

Birthdays...


Why is it that birthdays are celebrated? I mean, as a parent, when a child is born we rejoice and forever after that you remember that day as a wonderful event that changed your life. After a certain age, though, about the teenager years, it becomes a cursed day and God is punishing you for reasons you can not explain!! As kids, age was very important. When asked how old we were, the response was always in years and fractions. "I'm 5 and a half years old!" Or said with the word 'almost', like " I'm almost 10 years old!" This goes on until we are about 30, then something starts to change. Then we inform those that ask using the word 'just', "I just turned 31." We don't bother to say years anymore. I don't really know why but 40 seemed to be fabulous for me, and I loved to admit it! But this 50 thing...hmmm. I've been at it for 3 years now and so far it hasn't not felt good at all. It is nice to hear people say I don't look my age but I would rather not "feel" my age!! I'm sure it is just me. 50 is an accomplished age and one to be proud of, which I am happy I know what I know and have the experience I have. Today is a good day to be alive even with the aches and pains. I don't feel different then yesterday and I'm sure tomorrow will be the same. Today my mom remembers it was a day that changed her life.

No comments: