Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Retro Super Bells


Here a blast from the past. How many of you had a pair of "Super Bells" bell-bottom pants? I did, briefly. I was a teen, 15 going on 16, begging my dad to buy me a pair of the coolest style of pants I had ever seen! I envisioned wearing these and looking so hot. My dad finally gave in and we went to get me the pair I wanted, a dark red, poly-blend that flared out from the knee into a complete circle. So cool! I put them on in the store and yup! I looked good! They swished when I walked and even my dad like them. Of course, I had to wear them home from the store so we finished our purchase and I felt on top of the world. Now, it had been raining and as we left the store a light mist was still falling. A big black truck with a cute guy driving, ( who, of course, thought I was a vision), stopped to allow us to cross to go to our car. I flashed a smile and proceeded to "prance" off the curb and in front of his truck... my second step kick one of the bells around my legs like a cocoon and struck tight! I went down with a slap right into a puddle! Skinned both hands and my chin and that didn't hurt near as much as my dignity when I had to roll over and peel that stupid bell-bottom from around my legs before I could get up! I never even looked at the guy driving the truck, I'm sure he was laughing hysterically. My wonderful dad never said a word, never broke a smile, or even chuckled, as he watched me get up and bundle the legs in a knot so I could rush to the car. He wasn't even mad that there were holes in the knees of the almost $25.00 brand new pants he didn't want to buy in the first place. He was a great dad. That was the first and last pair I ever owned or wore. I figure out that I was pretty "cool" without the latest fad. Now I just make them for my dolls. Here is one version...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a natural for the Blogosphere! Love the story and the outfit is a real "blast from the past"!