Saturday, December 25, 2010

Reunited with an old friend

I’m very pleased with the results of this labor of love. This doll was given to my daughter, Dori, in 1979. It is the Beauty Secrets Barbie. This was her favorite even though the doll’s hand fell off, a little girls I babysat cut her hair off and the dolls joints were so loose you could just about tie her in a knot!! IMG_1795

A couple months ago, Dori asked if I could repair or do something to fix her very worn-out doll. IMG_1551 (1024x721) (2)Sadly, the only thing I could salvage was the head, which I will re-paint, re-root and find a new body for.

In the meantime, I found another Beauty Secrets Barbie IMG_1627 (1024x683)IMG_1630 (683x1024)on Ebay,

used and needing a thorough “spa treatment” but her body was sound and completely in tact. Her hair was very dirty yet long and full. Her face was perfect, eyes bright and full of life, all the face paint was great. There was a smudge over her left eye that looked like an extra eyebrow. I was able to remove it with no damage.

IMG_1676IMG_1679IMG_1683After washing and conditioning her hair, I boil permed it and then fingered combed it to style. Then added a beautiful bow.

Next she had to get underwear and a slipIMG_1689IMG_1690

Then the very special crocheted dress that I made for this doll over 25 years ago. It needed some repairs, just a change of hooks and eyes in the back to give it a more finished look.IMG_1673IMG_1675

Now the hat and a special hat pin, a perfect pair of sandals and she is ready for another special place in my daughters heart.IMG_1695IMG_1707IMG_1699

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Wow that's awesome - I bet your daughter was beside herself with happiness:) It's the special memories we hold dear in our hearts.